📝 Community Note The content on this page was generated with the assistance of AI and is pending a human review. While we've done our best to ensure accuracy, there may be discrepancies or areas that could be improved.
Contributing to the Mage-OS Community
- Clone the Mage-OS Repository
- Creating a Branch
- Making Code Changes
- Running Tests
- Submitting Your Contributions for Review
Thank you for your interest in contributing to the vibrant Mage-OS community! Your contributions can help improve the platform, fix bugs, develop new features, and enhance the overall user experience. This guide will walk you through the process of contributing to the Mage-OS community, covering everything from setting up your local development environment to submitting your contributions for review.
Before you start contributing to the Mage-OS community, ensure that you have the following prerequisites in place:
- Mage-OS instance: Set up a local development environment with a Mage-OS instance, preferably the latest stable version.
- Git: Install Git on your machine to help manage your code changes.
- GitHub Account: Create an account on GitHub if you don't already have one. This will enable you to contribute to the Mage-OS repository.
Clone the Mage-OS Repository
To contribute to the Mage-OS community, you will need to clone the official Mage-OS repository onto your local machine. Follow these steps to get started:
- Open your command line interface and navigate to the directory where you want to clone the Mage-OS repository.
- Run the following command to clone the repository:
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:mage-os/mageos-magento2.git
- Once the cloning process completes, navigate into the
mageos-magento2directory using the following command:
Creating a Branch
Before you start making changes to the Mage-OS codebase, it's important to create a new branch for your contributions. This ensures that your changes are isolated and can be easily managed. Follow these steps to create a new branch:
- Ensure that you are in the
- Run the following command to create a new branch:
git checkout -b my-branch-name
my-branch-name with a descriptive name for your branch. For example, if you are fixing a bug related to
customer registration, you could use
Making Code Changes
Once you have created a new branch, you can start making code changes to address the issues you want to contribute. Here are a few examples:
Example 1: Fixing a bug
If you want to fix a bug, follow these steps:
- Identify the bug you want to fix.
- Navigate to the relevant file(s) in the Mage-OS codebase.
- Make the necessary changes to address the bug.
- Test your changes to ensure they fix the bug and do not introduce any regressions.
Example 2: Developing a new feature
If you want to develop a new feature, follow these steps:
- Identify the feature you want to develop.
- Plan your implementation and consider the impact on other parts of the codebase.
- Create new files or modify existing ones to implement the feature.
- Test your implementation to ensure it works as expected and does not break any existing functionality.
Before submitting your code changes for review, it is essential to run the tests provided by Mage-OS to ensure that your changes do not introduce any regressions. Follow these steps to run the tests:
- Ensure that you are in the
- Run the following command to install the necessary testing dependencies:
- Once the installation completes, run the tests using the following command:
vendor/bin/phpunit -c dev/tests/unit/phpunit.xml.dist
Make sure all tests pass successfully before proceeding.
Submitting Your Contributions for Review
Once you have made your code changes and ensured that all tests pass, it's time to submit your contributions for review. Follow these steps to create a pull request (PR) on GitHub:
- Push your branch to the remote repository using the following command:
git push origin my-branch-name
- Visit the official Mage-OS repository on GitHub: https://github.com/mage-os/mageos-magento2.
- Click on the "Pull requests" tab.
- Click on the "New pull request" button.
- Select your branch from the dropdown menu.
- Add a descriptive title and provide a clear description of your changes.
- Click on the "Create pull request" button to submit your contributions for review.
Contributing to the Mage-OS community is an excellent way to improve the platform and collaborate with other developers. By following the steps outlined in this guide, you can start making a positive impact on the Mage-OS ecosystem. Remember to always adhere to best practices, thoroughly test your changes, and actively engage with the community for feedback and guidance. Happy contributing!